Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tip of the week: #1-Decoy Spreads


I’ve tried all the other decoy spreads and my preferred method would definitely be the J-hook.  I started off with the “U” shape because that’s what everyone had said works the best, but from my own personal experience I have had the best success with the J-hook.  Pictures one and two both depict an obvious “J” set up on the water; the “J” can be turned anyway to accommodate the direction of the wind.  Keep in mind the ducks will fly into the wind to land, so keep the open end of the “J” away from the direction of the wind for the optimal set up.
 

 

Be sure to only use the J-hook set up if you have at least 18 decoys, anything less than that and your “J” will be too spread out.  After you get your “J” set up place any extra decoys at the bottom of the “J”, or the flat part of the curve.  This way ducks won’t be tempted to land on the other side of your decoys and will be more likely to land in the kill zone. 

 
If you have a mixed decoys try to keep the flocks together; I personally always use mallards as the main decoys or for my “J” set up and then I will scatter out the other flocks so for example: I’d have pintails past the bottom of the J so that they are away from it but close enough to be in the main group, then I will place some teals up towards the top and so on and so forth

The last photo shows what I would do with under a dozen decoys.

I pretty much use this one whenever I’m walking long distances or its starting to get to be towards the end of the season and ducks are becoming decoy shy.  There isn’t much to it when it comes to setting it up; I just try to build a barricade of decoys about ten yards out in front of where I am.  This way no matter what way the wind is blowing the ducks will be able to fly in to my kill zone. 

The biggest tip that I have ever received for setting up my decoy spreads is random placement: if it looks perfect, it’s wrong.  Just try to get the basic shape down; if you’re stressing over placement, you’re simply doing too much work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment